The Healing Benefits of Color Light Therapy (Chromotherapy)
Chromotherapy is the use of colored lights to stimulate the senses, the body, and the mind. It is powerful phototherapy utilizing the properties of all 7 colors of the healing spectrum. Color Light therapy has the ability to elevate moods, produce soothing mindsets, stimulate cell regeneration, and help in healing.
Light therapy is well known and documented to help treat Seasonal Depression. Light therapy also has the ability to decrease inflammation and pain and accelerate wound healing and after-surgery recovery. Another very popular and exciting use of light therapy is for the treatment of anti-aging.
(source – Azeem, Y;Raza SM, 2005, “A Critical Analysis of Chromotherapy and Its Scientific Evolution” and Grubson, L, 1982, “Color has a powerful effect on behavior, researches assert”)
Here are the colors and their healing properties:
- Red: “The Great Energizer” Enhances libido and increases energy. Red light therapy activates collagen cells and helps stimulate skin to reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles. It energizes organs and promotes faster healing when used in conjunction with infrared therapy. Promotes cellular growth and circulation, very helpful for lymphatic movement, colds, arthritis, anemia, liver problems, low energy, or pneumonia. It stimulates the adrenal glands and improves strength, stimulates hemoglobin production (helpful for anemics).
- Yellow: Encourages mental clarity, nervous system, and digestive tract. It heals pores and scar tissue. Used to treat gas, diabetes, eczema, and constipation.
- Green: The universal healing color, relaxes thoughts and muscles and nerves. Encourages peace and harmony, lowers blood pressure and soothes the autonomic nervous system and helping heart problems, ulcers, cancer, headaches, and flu.
- Blue: Eases symptoms of pain, anxiety, and depression. Some research shows blue cools down inflammation, lowers fevers, helps high blood pressure and relieves migraines. Other research has shown blue is effective in reducing acne because the blue lights kill bacteria which is a major source of acne infections. It’s mentally relaxing, helpful for sleep problems, communication and speech problems. Reduces nervous problems and increases feelings of being positive and well.
- Orange: Frees the mind, combines physical energy with mental wisdom. Cheering, warm, non-constricting, helps us embrace and assimilate new ideas. An emotional stimulant, helps us lose inhibitions, bringing joy and zest for life. Helps repair kidneys, cough, seizure disorders, cramps, and sinus infections.
- Violet: Heals diseases of the scalp, sciatica, tumors, meningitis, cramps, concussion. It is often recommended for neurological pain caused by conditions like multiple sclerosis and fibromyalgia. Nourishes brain cells, purifies thoughts and feelings and encourages inspiration and spirituality. Helps us tap our own wisdom and inner strength, artistic talent and creativity. Da Vinci said you can increase power of meditation tenfold by meditating under violet rays, such as in stained glass church windows.
- White: This is the most common color used in LED color therapy. It uses the three primary colors (Red, Green, & Blue), making it easy to receive the benefits from all the colors used for color therapy. Research has shown that white light can even increase vitamin D levels!